– 10 cups Water
– 2 cups Hot Water
– 1 1/2 cups Mushroom liquid
– 1/4 cup Tamari soy sauce (a very dark Japanese soy sauce, very popular in Asian markets), low sodium
– 1/4 cup Sherry (optional)
– 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
– 1 tablespoon Fresh ginger root, grated
– 2 packages Xianggu (shiitake) mushrooms, dried
– 1 Onion, cut in wedges
– 1 bunch Green onions, cut in 1″ pieces
– 3 stalks Celery, sliced
– 1/2 pound Bok choy (Chinese cabbage), sliced
– 1/2 pound Soba noodles (thin buckwheat noodles)
– Meanwhile, put 10 cups water in a large soup pot. Add tamari soy sauce, sherry (optional), ginger root, and garlic. Bring to a boil. Add onion wedges. Reduce heat.
– Squeeze excess water from the mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Add 1 1/2 cups of this liquid to the hot broth.
– Chop mushrooms discarding tough stems, and add to broth. Add remaining ingredients, except for the noodles.
– Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, add noodles, and cook an additional 10 minutes. Serve the hot vegetable soup as a meal or appetizer.